Starting a translation career can be fun but it is also challenging, I have personally been both a freelance and in-house corporate translator in the past and here are some tips on becoming a successful translator.
1. Having the ability to write well is very important.
2. You have to know a second language just as well as you know your first so that you can converse with those who so speak the language natively.
3. A degree is not necessary, but holding a university degree or qualification in translation such as a certificate in translation can be very important when looking for jobs or working as a freelance translator.
4. Be confident in your target language and within the specific industries you serve clients in such as finance and banking or sports marketing.
5. Be familiar with the subject matter of what is to be translated before accepting assignments or full time positions.
6. Practicing your second or third languages daily or participating in exchange program